KALAMITY // Here's the Story-ALL of it.

I've really struggled with writing this post. I've been sitting on it for weeks now, and have pressed the backspace button more times than I've even touched letter keys.
Nothing. Is good enough. 

How can I put into words something that is so... so.... gah! I don't even have a word. 
I'm sure there's a way to put it into words, but no matter how many different ways I google 
"word for super and completely overwhelming feelings of love, joy, unity and emotion" -- nothing really comes up. lol

So. 
I'm just going to tell you a story. THE story. my story. 
I think up until now I've just given bits and pieces but I haven't told all of it from the beginning, so here it goes-

Last April I saw a post on Instagram that made my heart start beating WAY fast. Grant and Grace were napping, I was sitting on the couch with my feet up, and I hadn't showered in 3 days. My hair was up in a greasy messy bun and I was wearing basketball shorts and one of the only huge and baggy shirts Jaron has left. {cause you know, he's basically the same size as me now. What am I saying "BASICALLY." he is the same size as me lol.} 

-KALAMITY AUDITIONS-


I had gone to a couple hip hop drop in classes before, and I knew that Kalamity was a dance crew and that they were awesome because something about them was different, but I didn't have all the pieces and so I didn't really know much else, or what they were really about.

All I knew... was that my heart was beating out of my chest the way it does when I feel like I need to get up and bear my testimony. Which I thought was weird because I've never felt that except under that specific circumstance. Yet there I was. Sittin on my rump, watching TV, and my heart was pounding like I had just run a marathon. {who am I kidding? my heart was pounding like I had just walked up my stairs cause we aaaaaall know that's plenty enough to make me winded lol.}

Getting myself to audition was a HUGE mental struggle. I hadn't danced in over 7 years. Sure, I spent plenty of time reliving the glory days, but I never did anything but that- thinking about it. 

Fast forward past the weeks of emotional/mental struggle, and Jaron came home from work on Day 1 of auditions with a Gatorade. Taped on the front was a piece of paper saying, 

"Michael's Secret Stuff." 

And so... I auditioned. 

I was thrown into a whirlwind.
For the first time I learned what Kalamity was about.

Because it's not just about dance. 

10 years ago, Tia {founder and director of Kalamity} was dancing professionally.
Guys.
Beyonce. She was a dancer for Beyonce.
Billboard Music Awards.
That kind of professionally.

{You'll see this story depicted in one of our dances in the show, it's called 'Am I Wrong"}

She made a choice to leave that all behind. To choose a different way. And moved back to St. George.
And from that seemingly small decision-

came the beginnings of Kalamity.

Kalamity dances for a cause. Each year the team receives letters, emails, texts from people asking to nominate someone who is going through their own real-life calamity- unexpected deaths, cancer patients, illness and serious disease... people who need help- and they choose one, and dedicate the whole year to that person- and their family.

All the money from fundraisers each month and the two bi-annual big concerts, go to this family.
This year, the cause is for a little boy named Lincoln.
The benefit concert in May raised $17,000 for Lincoln and his family!

I had never been to a Kalamity concert before, and being on the sidelines during it was unlike anything else. I knew that this team was something I needed in my life.
I soaked in and soaked up every single moment of the two shows that weekend. If I didn't make the team- I wanted to make sure I had no regrets!

But I did make it.
To my complete surprise, I made it.


I feel so honored every time I change saying "their show" to "our show" .. and "the Kalamity Krew" to "My Kalamity Krew", them to we, they to us... I am so humbled and blessed to be able to wear the Kalamity name..

and I can not wait to wear the Kalamity name in a few weeks, on December 8th and 9th, during this concert. Last time, I was back stage.

I was backstage helping because I was just auditioning. But I have to tell you- there's something different about these concerts.
Something so different.
I remember feeling so much unity, so much love and unity shared by every person that filled all of those seats.
 Everyone came together, everyone came to help and support something bigger than themselves, everyone came to help serve a family who desperately needed serving, but are so humble and good they wouldn't ever ask for it for themselves. The spirit in these concerts is unreal.

This time.... this time.. I will be on stage.
I'm so excited to feel what that will feel like. Serving in that capacity, I'm sure I'm going to feel that same overwhelming feeling of love, but in a whole new way- so if you see me crying during a dance, that's probably why! ;P

These shows only happen twice a year, and this is the last one of the year-
and I would love to ask you...

please come.
I promise you that this isn't about you just coming to watch some performances.

You coming, is a HUGE service to this family.
You coming, means SO much more than you will probably every know, to a lot of people.
You coming, immediately puts you right along side us, and you are a big part, and vital part, of what we do. You are a part of us! You will feel that unity so tangibly.
Because plain and straight--
You matter...
You do.

There have been A LOT of calamities around the world lately.
The shootings in Las Vegas and Texas..
people losing their homes to fires in California and multiple other states..
Many dying in earthquakes and floods..

I have heard a lot of people say on social media and the news that the beautiful thing about when something terrible happens is watching how people come together.
I've listened to tear-jerking stories on the news of heroic actions of every day people, during these disasters.. and it is beautiful.

If you're like me, you beat yourself up a lot. My number one sucker punch that I get to my own face is, "You're not enough. You're not doing enough."....
Yeah. That one comes a lot.
I never see the good in anything that I do because I believe that thought.
Because I'm not doing enough.
Because I'm not digging wells for fresh clean water in Africa or building schools in the Philippines.

But a talk in the last General Conference really hit me hard, and has changed my perspective SO much, ever since.

Bonnie L. Oscarson said,

"What good does it do to save the world if we neglect the needs of those closest to us and those whom we love the most? 
How much value is there in fixing the world 
if the people around us are falling apart and we don’t notice? 

Heavenly Father may have placed those who need us closest to us, knowing that we are best suited to meet their needs."

I know we all have times when we feel like we're falling apart. 
I know I have. I know we all have felt like our lives are falling apart and no one is noticing- no one cares. We're at the bottom of every one else's list. We're alone. 

So let's be each other's heroes. 
We can have each other's backs.
We can do the greatest good, right here.

Some people would say to accept their fate...
Well, if this is fate, then we'll find a way to cheat...
We'll say a little prayer...
but if the answer isn't fair...
You know you can call on me... when you need somebody.

You know, you can call on me, when you can't stop the tears from falling down.

You can call on me.
{show rehearsal sneak peek!}

So like I said before-- please come! 
Comment or message me if you'd like tickets! I have pre-sale tickets at 50% off! They're only $5 each! Price goes to $10 at the door. 

I can't tell you how excited I am! 
I really can't! 
I'm counting down the days!

I hope to see you there!
-C  

P.s. If you're still here, if you've read all the way down to the end of this post- I love you. <3 Seriously and truly. I do.