Life's Just Beachy


My goal was to write/post on Sunday and it's Thursday, so I'd say I'm improving quite a lot 😜.

I'll bet I'm going to say this a million and one times, but I can't get over how fast the weeks go by. Each day feels like its own week, but the actual weeks just fly! For example- Jaron is already taking mid-terms for the quarter. Isn't that crazy!?

Anyway..
We've had a bit of bad luck with water since we've moved here and it forced me to eat my words. Jaron's parents got us these big water storage containers for Christmas (last year??) and we brought them here to Cali. When my parents were helping us unpack my mom and dad said I really should fill the containers with filtered water before we put them away, in case something happened and we wouldn't have water. In my mind, I was like, "ummm.. yeah. That sounds like a lot of work, and what are the odds? so... I probably won't be doing that."
My words didn't taste very good as I ate them about a week or so later.

Our building's hot water pipes burst, completely flooding out both of out downstairs neighbors.
One morning we awoke to our downstairs neighbor Liz, asking if we had left water running because her entire apartment was flooded. I went downstairs to see if I could help and sure enough she had inches of water on the floor and water quickly coming through the underside of the walls.
Grant and Grace and the Oakland Zoo Overlook


I'm glad my dad taught me a thing or two about "manly stuff", because I was able to go oustide and locate the water valve and shut off the water to the building before any more damage was done.
Unfortunately.... when the plumber finally arrived, he walked around the building for a while and then had to have me show him where the valve was.... so... needless to say, we were without hot water for a few weeks, and there were a few weekends when we didn't have water at all because the repairs took quite a long time to get done..

Other than that, everything honestly has been good. We're all starting to feel a lot more adjusted to our new city and state. Doing fun things definitely helps!!

I braved the hills and took the kids to the zoo by myself last Wednesday. It was nice because it wasn't as crowded as it is on the weekends, and so we were finally able to ride the gondola up to the new
part of the zoo that has the jaguar, grizzly bear and gray wolf! The gondola ride was honestly breathtaking because once you get up you can see the San Francisco city silhouette and the Golden Gate Bridge off in the distance!
Since we have yet to actually venture into the city or cross the Golden Gate Bridge, I'm still super touristy about it. lol And every time I do see the spectacular view, I honestly feel like Hilary Duff in A Cinderella Story BUT Chad Michael Murray never shows so..... 😜

On Wednesday Grace started complaining that her "face was plugged", and we noticed she had a runny nose. The next day Grant was also sick and it wasn't long before Jaron and I started to feel run down as well.
Being the parents of sick toddlers is not exactly fair. You see, you'd think that the sickness would run them down... but it doesnt. Not even in the slightest. So these balls of energy just bounce around the house like sick, snotty tornadoes.
On Saturday we really couldn't quite handle just sitting around inside with them anymore so we decided we'd try and go get some Vitamin Sea.... 

P.s. I have decided that I honestly want to live in Half Moon Bay for the rest of my life. Farmland + Forest + 2 seconds away from the beach? A total mix of the camping feel and the ocean? Paradise.





 p.s. nothing is wrong with her stomach. She's just on a band-aid kick right now. 





lol. not posed. 

He was trying to be serious when he saw me taking a pic- then a wave crashed behind him = my new favorite picture.

Beaches up here are said to be notoriously cold- and they were right. Jaron looked at me funny when I packed jackets for all of us, but once we got there he understood. I don't mean to knock any Socal beaches... but this was the most beautiful beach I've ever been to in my life!
              The sand was white, the beach was so clean, the water clear and blue, I didn't smell any seaweed stink because there was NONE on the beach, it just smelled the way you imagine beaches should smell! It wasn't crowded, and the although it was a little chilly, the sand instantly warmed us and melted the cold away. It was gorgeous!
                   And also weird, because one direction was the beach, and when you turn back to look on land- and right there behind you it's green mountains/hills/forest. Which is so different from Socal where it's just flat for miles and miles, you know??

Although we thought we'd just have a nice morning relaxing on the sand, we couldn't keep Grant away from the water and uh... oops. he got a cough along with the cold he already had..... 😑 rookie parent move.

But the kids absolutely loved it. It was funny because Grace kept pensively staring at the ocean and I was sure any second she'd start with, 🎵"I've been staring at the edge of the water....."🎵 'cause you know- Grace loves Moana and lately we can't get her to stop singing! I just love it.
Grant loves the water and he loved finding seashells. Grace was content on the sand, like I said... staring at the water lol

It was the best Saturday ever and I want to go back again and again every single weekend of summer. Which hey! We totally can do because it was only a 30 minute drive from our house to this beach!! 😄


All that fun came with a price- we've basically been home ever since, trying to rid Grant of his cough. That's what we're doing again today.
Now we're more than half way through this week- this counts as this week's update too. So I'm clear!😇

-C