Haley's Birth Story

May 23, 2025
I am 100% positive the baby has dropped into my pelvis! I am having a lot of soreness and discomfort in my lower back, pressure in my you-know-wheres, I have to pee every 5 minutes it feels like because this baby is definitely putting some intense pressure on my bladder. 

I have had Braxton Hicks Contractions daily for months! 

I don't know what this all means as 6far as timing of labor goes. But I do know that I am ready when God is and I will do my best to rest and trust His timing for this baby! 

But just a little note to heeaven.... I'm READY. 😉

May 29, 2025 
Still no baby! Looks like we might just make it to June! 

Still feeling the same as before, but getting my hips adjusted helps a lot. I asked Jaron if he'd adjust me at least twice a week- good thing we have a table upstairs! 

Nesting is in full swing.. I just want to clean and organize everything! But it's weird... I made a list of things I had to get done today and ended up deep cleaning and re-arranging the kitchen counters instead 😂 

I have a sinus infection. Hopefully that resolves soon. Breathing is kind of important during labor 😬

June 8, 2025
Ive had Braxton Hicks Contractions for months now. Though now they are more intense, Ive decided not to start timing anything until they're SUPER regular for at least an hour. 
I lost a decent amount of mucus at church today- not a ton to where I can say I lost my mucus plug FOR SURE, but it is a good sign. A sign things are going in the right direction. A sign my body is preparing and sending signals to get this birth started. Also, everything about my chest is SUPER sensitive and tender! So.. more signs! 
I am going to be patient and just focus on being calm and willing. This baby is going to come and after she does I know that the days and maybe even weeks wont make much of a difference in eternity. I just have to enjoy every moment and soak it all in, even these last few days or weeks of pregnancy. Who knows if this will ever happen again! 

My midwife is back from girls camp and I am so glad I made it! I was worried about the baby coming while she was gone and me not being able to have the baby at home with Janae. I am praying that all the babies take turns (she has 10 moms in June!!!) So we all can have the births we hoped for! 

June 10, 2025
I am depressed out of my MIND today. I seriously can not even get a grip on my emotions. I feel so hopeless and so discouraged. It is getting so hard to take care of myself, and even harder to take care of the kids. I dont want to do anything. I am exhausted and I want this baby out. I wake up in the middle of the night and am even tired of hoping to try and be able to sleep. What's the point? Im so uncomfortable I cant sleep.
Im still fasting from social media and that feels SO HARD to do today. I want to just numb out so bad but I cant. 

I am feeling very very done with all this. I just kinda want to give up. 

June 13, 2025
"Due Date" 
I am feeling much better today. I was able to go to the temple with Treva and I feel so peaceful and strengthened by my time there. It is 9:30pm and so far it is looking like the due date is going to come and go but I know that's alright. I always go over and I know that the baby and I are both in God's hands and I know we are loved. We are cared for and we will both be delivered soon. 🤍 I trust His timing. 

June 16, 2025
..was Jaron and I's 13th Anniversary. It was a very laid back day! Early in the morning I went to Janae's for my midwife appointment. Everything with the baby looked great and she wasn't worried that I was 3 days "past due". She told me she didnt legally have to transfer care to a hospital until I hit 43 weeks. This really put my mind at ease and so I decided that I'd spend the week relaxing and taking the kids to the pool every day like we had been! 
I got home and the kids and I decided it would be better if we took the day and just relaxed at home instead of going to the pool. I was glad because I was pretty worn out already, so they hung out and took care of each other and I napped/stayed in bed all day. I watched Work and the Glory while doing two poses out of the "Miles Circuit" in my bed. 
Jaron came home at 5pm like usual and surprised us with Panda Express for dinner to celebrate our Anniversary! 
After dinner I went upstairs and talked to my parent's on the phone. My dad and I made a bet that morning that if I went into labor that day I would buy them ice cream. My dad teased me by taking pictures of him and my mom going out to Baskin Robin's and getting icecream! Ironically, while I was on the phone with them, I started having contractions that were coming pretty close together. I didnt want to believe that these were real because I have been having contractions for months. So I kept telling myself not to worry about it. 
We talked on the phone for about an hour and after we hung up I was still having the contractions. 
Around this same time, I began noticing that every time I went to the bathroom and wiped, I had pinkish goopy discharge.

I told Jaron I wanted to go on a little walk around the school by myself, and that's what I did. 

I went out at dusk, probably around 7-7:30pm at this point, and walked around the school. It was a beautiful evening, and the wind made it feel nice and not too hot. The sun had already set and the sky was soft and beautiful. I listened to my Worship Playlist and felt peaceful. The contractions kept coming and they felt a bit stronger. And although I still didnt want to let myself believe they were real, I began timing them.. 

I came home after walking around the school once, and put the kids to bed with Jaron like we always do,then came upstairs and got ready for bed. I told Jaron I was still having contractions and that they were coming about 9-10 minutes apart, and did not slow or stop with my position changing. BUT Knowing they could still stop, OR that I could stay in early labor for a long time, I suggested we just go to bed and try and get as much rest as possible.

I went to the bathroom and noticed a big glob of blood in the toilet, like a period clot or something, that was a deep red color. I was nervous about this and so I called my midwife and asked her about it. She told me to watch and make sure I dont bleed any more than that, but that if baby was moving fine that it should not be a big deal. I told her I would keep her in the loop.

The contrations kept coming, and so around 11pm I decided to do the "bath test" that I learned from my old midwife Cyndi. (relax in the tub for a while and see if it makes the contractions stop or not) I had a nice bath but the contractions continued. They were about 8-10 minutes apart. I decided to let Treva, Kayli and Brynna know what was going on so they could be ready in case we were going to have a baby! 


I got out of the tub and got in bed to try and sleep. I think Jaron was sleeping a little bit. I couldn't fall asleep because the contractions were coming faster and getting stronger so I decided to get up and  let Jaron know it was time, and ask him to help me prepare the birth tub so things were ready and we didnt have to rush and try and do it later. He got up and showered, and we started getting everything ready. He set up the birth tub, and I helped while I could between contractions. 



June 17, 2025

One of my goals for this labor was to labor restfully and privately without anyone else here as long as I could. I wanted to be able to allow labor to progress without feeling like I was watched, and that would allow me to get the most out of the rests in between contractions. Laboring with just Jaron was so wonderful, I really loved having that time with just the two of us. 


I labored in our room for the first parts of labor. I alternated between sitting on or kneeling over my birth ball, or standing and leaning over the birth ball. I really wanted to use gravity as much as I could to help baby descend. 


Around 2:15am, the contractions were getting strong enough that I could no longer comfortably keep talking to Jaron through them, and I decided to call and ask Janae Sherman, my midwife, to come! 
It was time to have this baby! 
I could hardly believe it. It almost didnt feel real. And part of me still was a little unsure, but I just kept hoping that the contractions would keep going and not stop! 

I asked Jaron to start putting hot towels on my back during the contractions, to help ease the sensations.

Brynna, Kayli, Treva and my midwife all arrived around the same time.. around 3am. 

I continued laboring and decided to just keep standing up during them and even in between. Again, to just try and help allow baby to move down as best as I could. 
Standing helped the contractions be so effective, and I was so glad that I didnt have any "bum labor" like I have had in other labors!


Janae did a quick cervical check to see where I was and at that point I was a bit over 5cm dilated. 

My mantra in my mind during this birth was to simply LET the baby out. Not to GET the baby out. I didn't strain, I didn't push and push, I just breathed deep and focused on dropping into the contractions and relaxing my pelvic floor. I tried to avoid any tension anywhere in my body. This was another goal of mine. In past births, I have pushed and pushed with every contraction to try and get baby out as fast as possible. This always wore me out so fast and then I would get exhausted and so I would ask my midwives to break my water for me so I could just GET the baby out.


This time, my goal was to not push until I could absolutely no longer help it. To stay easy and open and just allow my body to be taken by the sensations without fighting or pushing through them. 
I focused on this as I labored and visited a bit in between contractions with everyone there. It was pleasant and peaceful. 


Janae suggested that I wait and not get in the tub until my contractions got closer, so I continued on, breathing and dropping into each contraction while Janae put hot towels on my lower back and pressed down on the sides of my hips. It felt so so so wonderful and helped A LOT. 


After a while, the contractions were very powerful and so I asked if I could get into the tub. Janae of course told me it was always up to me, and I decided it was time. 


As soon as I got in, it felt so good. It was comforting and eased my body and mind. 
I asked Jaron to come close so I could hold on to his hands during the contractions. They were VERY powerful and I wasn't talking to anyone much anymore.  I could still hear everyone around me, but I was very focused during this time. 

The contractions were the storm, and holding on to Jaron was my anchor. I held and squeezed his hands during each contraction. My body began to shake with each wave that came. It was work to get through them. 
I lived for the rests in between. 


My back started to get cold, and so I asked if we could put in new hot water. Janae and Treva began working on that and labor hit its peak. I knew it. 
I got through a few incredibly consuming contractions, and during the next rest, my mind began rushing. 



I was all of a sudden very unsure.
I felt a bit lost. 
Confused. 
Part of me felt defeated. 
I didnt know how much longer I could do this. 
I began feeling partially sad. 
What was I going to do? 
How was I supposed to know when to push? 
What position should I be in?
How much longer could I do this for? 
Would everything be okay? 



I said a prayer in my mind. A pretty informal prayer..Just a few thoughts realizing I desperately needed direction and help.. 

And the answer came. 
In the most amazing way, it immediately came. 

I will tell you in the most plain way, and please know I am speaking in the most literal sense.. 

An angel spoke to me. 
Truly. 

As soon as I finished my prayer, the song on my birth Playlist changed. Until that point I had almost completely tuned out the music. But the song changed to "So Close" and that is one of my special songs that means a lot to me spiritually and personally, and NOBODY knows that but me and God and Jesus. 

These words were spoken to me, as the music played softly and filled my whole mind: 

"For the next contraction, bear and push down along WITH your body. Kneel up, hold on to Jaron, and allow yourself to push with your body and your baby will be born. We will help you. It is coming. You're not alone." 

And sure enough, that's exactly what happened.



I held Jaron's hand knelt up for the most powerful contraction of all. It was so strong I threw up during it, and could feel the power of my heaving causing baby to move down, I reached down with one hand and said "lthe baby is coming now" as I began to feel her head. 
I heard my midwife say "i think so too" in response. 
I felt my waters break as soon as her head began coming through, and with that
my body just took over. 
Completely.
As soon as her head started coming I couldn't have stopped it even if I tried. 
My body did it all. 
all the pushing. 
It happened so fast, and one thing I remember is my prayers in my head accidently became out loud prayers. 

I prayed for strength 
For help
For her to be ok 
For me to be okay 

And then

She was born. 

Out and up into my arms came our precious baby girl. 

5:35am

She was perfect and so incredibly beautiful. The moments after birth were so emotional for me, so heavenly and sweet. 
I was full of so much gratitude that we made it. 
We did it. 
It was all over
And yet all beginning too..
Because now she was here and she was just perfect.

I was so surprised it was already over! I almost couldn't believe how quickly it went! I was so so pleased because every single one of my hopes and goals was met! 
One of the things I also really wanted was to not artificially rupture my waters. I have always had that done (except for with Via but the castor oil did that for me and that was NOT fun) and I just felt so strong that I was able to do it without any interference. 
Jaron cut the umbilical chord, my midwife checked me for tears (none!!) and then she put me to bed. 
She checked the baby next and all looked wonderful! 
Jaron guessed she'd be 9 lbs 11 oz 
I guessed she would be 9 lbs 5 oz

My midwife said she was cute and little and would not be 9 lbs 
But...
She was 9 lbs 4 oz! My guess won! 
21 inches long and just so sweet. 
The kids began waking up and one my one they filtered in like on Christmas morning to see their sweet surprise! 
Grant was first. He smiled and said 
"So it IS a girl?"
..."that's fine".
He was still holding a tiny hope that the ultrasound was wrong! But he was so happy to see and meet the sweet new baby! 

Via came next and before she came in the door she squealed "IS IT HAPPENING!?" And then she saw the baby and was bright with love and excitement! 

Grace came up next and did her shy happy smile, which I knew she would do. She is so thoughtful and reserved like Jaron but there are times when those little smiles give her away. 
Eden was last and of course all she could say was "ooh! She's so cute!!!" Over and over. 

Everyone gathered on the bed to meet and take turns holding their new sister. It was a heavenly moment and one I will always treasure in my heart. 

Kayli and Brynna fed the kids breakfast and then took them over to Mom's house. Jaron and I finally got to sleep between feeding and caring for the baby. 
I realized I was in trouble though.. 
All the names I liked and had written down were wrong. And not a little wrong- totally wrong. Each one just felt completely off. 

Lora, June, Laine, Opal, Selah, Ada... no good. 

I was beat. I had nothing. So I turned to Jaron and said, "so, what will you name her?" 

As he held her and she blinked her little eyes at him, he said to her, "Is your name Lora? Noooo. Is your name Opal? Nooo.. " 
and so on... 
Then he said "... is your name..  Haley? Haley Marie?" 

And as soon as the words left his mouth I knew it was to be. I knew it was her! 

Haley Marie Hughes 

Haley after Grandpa Pat of course. His original last name before he was adopted. 
She is a reminder to me, and always will be.. that heaven really isn't far away. 
And neither is it's power.