Read D&C 19:16-19.
What does this passage teach about the Savior's suffering for us? Why was Jesus Willing to experience such great suffering for us?
Becoming a mother has taught me more about the Savior's love for us more than anything else. I can think of a few times in particular-
Once, Grant had such bad ear infections that he actually had blisters in his ears. All night long he writhed with pain. Screaming, crying, flailing.. he was inconsolable.
A couple years ago we got the flu pretty bad. I remember watching helplessly as Grant (not quite two years old) and Grace (just months old) threw up over and over and over. Being as small as they were they would look at me in confusion and horror as the urge to vomit increased until involuntarily coming up.
During each of these times I wished more than anything that I could take that pain for them. I would have in a heart beat. I wanted to take that pain so that they wouldn't have to endure it any longer.
I remember my own mother saying those things to me as a child.
That's why the Savior did what he did for us.
Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us so much. They hear us when we cry. They are with us when we hurt. They want to take the pain from us.
Jesus wanted to take the pain from us- so he did.
As long as we repent, the atonement is the balm, the healing that washes away the pain, heartbreak and despair.
Read D&C 88:14-18, 93:33, Alma 11:42-44.
What can you learn from the Resurrection from these passages?
When we die our bodies and spirits are separated. But because of The Atonement, there will be a Resurrection. During the Resurrection we all will be returned to our bodies- but our bodies will be perfect. They will be perfected. This is guaranteed to all the children of God, whether they kept the commandments during their earth life or not. The one thing that I think is amazing is that we will remember everything. Right now, we forget a lot. But once we are resurrected we will have a perfect memory of all things- good and bad. And there, we will be judged.
Read D&C 18:11-12, 19:16-17 & 20, 58:42, 76:62-70.
What do these passages teach about the blessings we can receive through the Savior's Atonement?
D&C 58:42 Is one of my favorite doctrines. One of my favorite promises- one of my favorite truths.
When we repent, the Lord remembers our sins no more. It's like they never even happened. They are erased! {Not from our memory, to keep us from doing them again} Especially as someone who has made a lot of mistakes... It makes me happy to know that despite all of that- I am clean. I am clean again because the Savior suffered. I am clean because I repented properly.
I think it is beautiful that repentance exists. One thing I used to think about was that regardless of whether or not we repent- Jesus suffered anyway. He suffered for all of our sins- even if we choose not to repent. He still died. I don't want the Savior to have suffered needlessly for me.
How can you show the Savior your gratitude for His Atonement?
Like I said above, the best way to show your gratitude is to use the atonement. To repent often and stay humble. I think it is also a good way to show gratitude by sharing your testimony of the Atonement with others. For me, I am trying hard right now to teach my children about Jesus. I want them to know Him.