Read D&C 1:15-16;
What were some of the consequences of the Great Apostasy?
There were countless consequences of the Great Apostasy but in my mind, I think of the people. All of the people who were in the world during the time when there was no truth to be found. No prophets, no true church, no Spirit of The Lord- nothing.
There was no peace.
There was a study done that found that religious people are more resilient to trauma.
And if there is anything I've learned about life, it's that trauma, trials, death, sickness- it's everywhere. It can come any time, any where, without any warning.
The people on the earth at that time must have felt so lost and alone. Sad. Discouraged. Hopeless.
If I faced the same trials that I've faced in my life without the knowledge I have of the gospel- I would feel all of those things in their full force. Of course at time I feel those things- but the unbearable enduring pain is swallowed up in my faith in the Atonement.
Pain that would be endless- ends.
Sorrow that brings darkness- dissipates into His light.
Discouragement that destroys everything in its path- is extinguished.
Because of Him. Because of His Gospel.
Read Joseph Smith History 1:5-10
Why was Joseph confused about which church he should join? How was Joseph's situation like that of people today who are searching to know the truth?
There were so many churches. And almost all of them were teaching opposing doctrine; while all still claimed to be the one true church. As a young boy- of course that was confusing!
Today, even more than back then, there are many religions and now non-religions competing for the title of truth.
I was born and raised as a Latter Day Saint.
I don't think this was done to hurt me or others, just out of ignorance- but at church and in the community I was taught that we were the "One True Church".
As a young child I adopted everyone's attitude that we believed the only truth, and everyone else who believed anything else, was wrong. It came off as- we're the best. We are the righteous. We are higher than they. It was like we were looking down to everyone else because we were part of this "elite" organization, and we were prospered by God because we were in His church.
I remember we were in the Philippines and had gone with my Aunt Virginia to some kind of Catholic Worship Service. I am not sure what it was called, but it was a really important one to the community. It was huge!
After it was over, I remember saying something to my mom.
I knew that her and her family were catholic for a time, until her Mother and Father joined the LDS church, resulting in the rest of the children going to church with them.
I also knew that my Grandmother and my mother was the only one out of the seven siblings to continue living the principles, get married in the temple, and teach her children the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Almost all of her other siblings went back to being Catholic.
Wanting my mom to be proud of me, I said something about how the worship service we just attended was weird and that our church was the only true one... or something like that. I don't remember exactly what I said.
I didn't get the reaction I was expecting.
Instead of being proud and happy with me- I was taught a very important lesson that I have remembered through my life.
She taught me the difference.
The really important difference.
There are hundreds of religions out there, and to some degree- they all have truths in them. There are so many aspects of religion. So many beliefs and ideas. Some have been lost in translation, some have been changed all together.
We are not the one true church.
Several churches have truths here and there.
We are the church that has the fullness of the gospel restored.