1 Nephi 17:6 & 13 | Hang On A Little Longer


1 Nephi 17: 6
"...notwithstanding we had 
suffered many afflictions and much
difficulty, yea, even so much that
we cannot write them all..."

Yesterday I made my vision board for all the hopes and dreams I would like to actualize this year. It included wishes, stretching goals, and hopes for a miracle.. but my most favorite picture that I put on
my vision board is this symbol of the crescent moon.
The past few months I have felt like Nephi. Life keeps throwing itself at me. Just when I feel like I have made it over the hill, I see that there is another bigger one ahead. 
Over and over and over again this keeps happening. 
Piling and piling.  
Higher and higher.  

But I'm trying. OH! How I am try-ing

Trying so hard to be positive and kind and good and serve others through it all. Trying not to yell and be short with my family when all I want to do is raise the white flag, jump in bed, have nobody need me, and buffer through my feelings with chocolate ice cream and movies.

"..and I will be your light in the wilderness.."

These scriptures and the crescent moon remind me that life is about cycles.




Darkness.
Light. 

The moon is a constant reminder that no matter how dark it is.. no matter how far away the sun feels... it is still there. The moon itself doesn't shine. The moon's reflection of the sun's light is the sun's promise. Its promise that once you've made it through the night, the sun will rise and shine brightly on you again.  

The Lord promises us the same.

He is the sun.
The joy when life is easy, good and bright.

He is the moon. 
The joy when life is hard, trying and lonely. 

Look to Him. 
In your dark. 
In your wilderness. 

It's a cycle.  
Wait for the other end. 
Even if it still dark around you, find your moon. The light is already coming. 
đŸ’›

My eternal love + gratitude, 
Carmina


P.s. I had a thought along the same lines when I went out on our deck this morning. We have a big beautiful Sugar Gum tree right outside our deck. In the spring and summer its bright five-point leaves are lush and full and provide us with complete privacy on our deck. It feels like we live in a tree-house.
But as you can see... in the winter.... not so much. Looking at it, my Sugar Gum tree still looks bare. Naked. Sleeping. Dead.


I feel that more often than not, when life is heavy... you have to focus and look hard to find your light, or your moon, or the goodness of God. 
But we have to slow down and breathe...  we have to make an actual effort to stop distracting ourselves and buffering from the pain, and instead look closely...

If we do that, we will see that better times are already on their way. 
God is already at work. The spring, the sun, relief.. it is already coming. 


Hang on a little longer.

P.P.S. In case symbols, scriptures, pictures, and metaphors weren't enough and you need music to drive this home.. I've been listening to this song on repeat since November....