I feel like Thursday to ... today... {it's Saturday I think} just feels like one big long day.
I'm sorry to have not given an update yesterday but as you probably can assume... we were all pretty tired by the end of it.
We (Me, Jaron and Treva) arrived at the hospital at 5:45AM yesterday morning, and we left Jaron as he went to surgery around 7:30AM.
I have to say that I have been extremely extremely impressed by everyone here at the University of Utah Hospital. It's amazing. They're amazing. Everyone has been wonderful. Their confidence, kindness and hospitality helped us to feel confident and calm as well.
Surgery went well. He took quite a while to wake up, but everything went well. Dr. Patel and his team did an amazing job! With his chest corrected Jaron looks like Hercules now! ;) {I'm not really joking.}
After surgery he had to stay on oxygen because his lungs were a little collapsed because he has {I don't remember what they call it} fluid, blood, or air {they're not sure which} around his lungs pushing them down. It is very normal for this to happen, and we knew that there was a chance it may happen even before he went in for the surgery.
His lungs still hadn't inflated all the way by evening so they decided that rather than put in chest tubes
to drain it, they would keep him on the oxygen because "these things tend to normalize on their own" and they hoped to have him off the oxygen by morning.
Last night was hard for him. He would fall asleep but because he wasn't awake to push his button for the meds, he'd wake up in a lot of pain. So we both stayed up throughout the night to stay on top of the
medication so that he wouldn't be in that much pain again. Staying on top of it helped and he was able to sleep just a little.
| X-ray of the bars in his chest. |
After x-rays this morning, his lungs still hadn't improved enough to take him off the oxygen so for
now and until tomorrow the mask is here to stay. They are still hoping that they wont have to put in chest tubes to drain, but I guess tomorrow's x-rays will tell.
| Treva, Jaron and Tyler on a walk around the halls. |
He has improved a lot today! Early this afternoon, the PT and I were able to help him up and get him walking. To get up he still needs to start from a seated position, so they turn his bed into a chair and put his feet on the floor and from there he stands. We have yet to have him just come off the side of the bed, but I'm sure that will come with time. He walked to the end of the hall and got to look out of a window.
He did a really great job and walking is a good sign.
They say walking could help his lungs start to inflate more on their own.
So after our walk this morning, he was able to go on a walk again with his mom, Kayli, and Tyler.
Because he did so well walking, they took his catheter out and he has been able to get up and use the bathroom. It still takes a while, and he got lightheaded when I helped him change his gown, but he is making very good progress!
We are happy that everything is going the way it's going. I'm happy that he is here and is in such good hands. We have felt every prayer and are so grateful for service through faith and prayers on his behalf.
My mind is drawing a serious blank because I'm so tired! I am pretty sure you're up to date on everything... if I forgot something, I'll put it in the next post.
Goodnight.
Love, Carmina
