In my heart, I knew I had to have made some kind of headway into the labor and delivery process because I had already started losing some of my mucus plug. So off to the doctor's we went!
When we got there, the nurse kindly handed me an over-sized paper towel and told me to get completely undressed from the waist down, cover up, and wait for the doctor because they'd be checking to see if I had dilated at all. I was so glad to see Dr. Chalmers! (I see two docs that alternate- Dr. Chalmers and Dr. Ott) He is so funny and kind and he always makes jokes to relieve the tension. So although he was about to check me, I was able to relax because he is just so easy going and fun! (I really love my doctors!)
The next thing I heard from him was, "WHOA! The baby's head is way far down there!" He then informed us that I was ahead of schedule and already dilated to 2 centimeters and 20% effaced! I literally put my arms up like I was on a roller coaster and said, "Woohooo!!" I knew we had gotten somewhere! Dr. Chalmers told me that he definitely didn't think I was going to make it all the way until the 18th, and that we'd probably have him sooner than that! I said, "So what are we talkin' here... like end of the week??" He chuckled and said, "No, but probably within the next couple weeks!" I was soo thrilled to hear that news! I had already gotten so sick of my pregnant body and I was glad that I'd be able to have the baby here sooner rather than later.
Well.. the "couple weeks" had passed and I was EXTREMELY disappointed that the baby still hadn't come. I think I was a little heartbroken too.
My next appointment was on Friday, Jan. 3. 2014.
This time, Dr. Ott was there! Once again we went through the over-sized paper towel charade, and when Dr. Ott came in and checked me, he told us that I had progressed to a "loose 3" and was 80% effaced! He then stripped my membranes (OW!). On his way out, he told us to make an appointment for next week if I would still be pregnant then. He said, "We may just see you this weekend!" and left the room.
I was so happy to hear that! No, more than happy. ECSTATIC! I could hardly contain myself!! We were going to have this baby! It was already Friday and he said "this weekend" which meant tomorrow, Saturday.. or the next day!
After we left the doctors office, I kept having contractions/cramps because he stripped my membranes. We decided to walk around Target to kill time in case we were gonna go into labor. With every contraction that came, the more excited I got! I kept thinking, "It's happening! It's happening!"
Unfortunately.. they stopped.
Well.. once again..the "this weekend" had passed and still no baby. Not only did the weekend pass, but Monday passed too. The disappointment was starting to turn into depression. All I could think about was the baby. No matter how hard I tried to not think about it, the more I thought about it. It was getting harder to stay asleep at night.. My body was all sorts of uncomfortable. All I wanted was to have the baby. I was anxious. too anxious.
I really had hoped that I wouldn't need to go to my Tuesday appointment because I would have had the baby by then. But Tuesday rolled around, and Jaron and I headed to St. George for another appointment.
PART II
On the drive to St. George, I talked Jaron's ear off trying to distract myself and keep myself from getting my hopes up. Although it was really difficult to NOT get my hopes up... Jaron thought it would be a good idea to bring all of our hospital bags (that had been packed for weeks) just in case. I decided to tell myself that I wasn't going to have this baby today, just so that when it didn't happen my hopes wouldn't get dashed...again.
We got to the appointment and Dr. Ott informed me that I was dilated to 4 centimeters and as effaced as it would get! He then stripped my membranes reeeaaaal good. He then told us to make an appointment for next week if I was still pregnant and blah blah blah. Before he left I asked him if we should stick around St. George for a while, because I knew that stripping my membranes may put me into labor. He asked if we lived out of town, which we informed him that we did. He said, "Yeah, stick around for a few hours. Go to dinner, and if nothing happens then you're good to go home." He left the room and I did my very blive Garden Jaron and I had a wonderful dinner. It was fun, calming (food does that), and of course super yest to try and convince Jaron that I deserved Olive Garden. ;)
As we were walking out of the office, Dr. Ott stopped us and said, "Actually... go to dinner, and in a few hours head over to labor and delivery so we can check ya and see how you're doing."
I didn't want to get my hopes up, so I just focused on Olive Garden!
We had a few hours to kill, so we headed over to Target to walk around. I waited and waited for contractions to start the way they had the last time.. but nothing happened. Not one little contraction. Nothing. At Oummy! But still, no contractions. I told Jaron that I was kind of annoyed because we'd check into the hospital, I'd have to change into the hospital gown to get checked and then they'd just send me home because I wasn't having any contractions or anything like that. He told me that it was okay and to just not worry about it.
It was time to head over to the hospital!
We checked in and the nurse brought me into the small room where they check to see if you are in labor. The nurse that was helping us asked, "So you're having labor pains?!" and I was like, "uh... nope. Dr. Ott just told me to come in." She was so nice and funny and told me to change into the hospital gown so they could see where I was at.
Dr. Ott came in and checked me and told me that I had progressed to 5 centimeters! He asked if I was feeling any contractions or any pain and I told him that I didn't feel a thing! He then asked me a question.. and I couldn't believe my ears.
"Do you want me to break your water? It's your baby.. but if I don't you'll probably just be back up here soon anyway."
From that moment on it felt like a dream. It was really time! I was going to have this baby! We were going to meet our son!
Dr. Ott broke my water... and the baby was on his way!!
(Good thing Jaron told me to bring the hospital bags huh?!)
We got to the appointment and Dr. Ott informed me that I was dilated to 4 centimeters and as effaced as it would get! He then stripped my membranes reeeaaaal good. He then told us to make an appointment for next week if I was still pregnant and blah blah blah. Before he left I asked him if we should stick around St. George for a while, because I knew that stripping my membranes may put me into labor. He asked if we lived out of town, which we informed him that we did. He said, "Yeah, stick around for a few hours. Go to dinner, and if nothing happens then you're good to go home." He left the room and I did my very blive Garden Jaron and I had a wonderful dinner. It was fun, calming (food does that), and of course super yest to try and convince Jaron that I deserved Olive Garden. ;)
As we were walking out of the office, Dr. Ott stopped us and said, "Actually... go to dinner, and in a few hours head over to labor and delivery so we can check ya and see how you're doing."
I didn't want to get my hopes up, so I just focused on Olive Garden!
We had a few hours to kill, so we headed over to Target to walk around. I waited and waited for contractions to start the way they had the last time.. but nothing happened. Not one little contraction. Nothing. At Oummy! But still, no contractions. I told Jaron that I was kind of annoyed because we'd check into the hospital, I'd have to change into the hospital gown to get checked and then they'd just send me home because I wasn't having any contractions or anything like that. He told me that it was okay and to just not worry about it.
We still had time to kill, so we headed to the temple. We went and sat in the visitors center for a while. We spoke to the missionaries, and sat at the foot of the big statue of Christ and listened to the audio presentation. The spirit was so strong and it was the perfect thing to do to make me feel better!
It was time to head over to the hospital!
We checked in and the nurse brought me into the small room where they check to see if you are in labor. The nurse that was helping us asked, "So you're having labor pains?!" and I was like, "uh... nope. Dr. Ott just told me to come in." She was so nice and funny and told me to change into the hospital gown so they could see where I was at.
Dr. Ott came in and checked me and told me that I had progressed to 5 centimeters! He asked if I was feeling any contractions or any pain and I told him that I didn't feel a thing! He then asked me a question.. and I couldn't believe my ears.
"Do you want me to break your water? It's your baby.. but if I don't you'll probably just be back up here soon anyway."
From that moment on it felt like a dream. It was really time! I was going to have this baby! We were going to meet our son!
Dr. Ott broke my water... and the baby was on his way!!
(Good thing Jaron told me to bring the hospital bags huh?!)
PART III
Dr. Ott broke my water, and shortly after I started to feel the contractions.
For the first time in my life I was SO GRATEFUL that I always had awful period cramps growing up because that's exactly what the contractions felt like. They were intense and uncomfortable- but I was used to it, so it wasn't bad at all!
My dad had showed up, so he was with Jaron and I in that little room while we waited for them to prepare the delivery room for us. At that time, I asked Jaron and my dad for a blessing. Jaron gave me such a sweet blessing. I was so grateful to have a worthy priesthood holder as a husband to give me a blessing at such an important moment in our lives!
I watched the little blue line on the monitor make mountain after mountain as the contractions kept coming. They started to get really close together too! And we weren't in the delivery room yet! Jaron and my dad made jokes and laughed at the funny faces I would make with each contraction. I started to get nervous that we would miss the window for the epidural because the contractions were coming so quickly.. and at about the same time that I had that thought the nurse came in and asked if I would like one!
Of course I did!
Around 8:00 pm they transferred me to the delivery room and the anesthesiologist came in to give me the epidural. You know all those scary stories you hear about ten inch needles and pain and blah blah blah? Well.. getting the epidural was seriously a piece of cake! A delicious, soft, moist piece of devil's food cake!The anesthesiologist was wonderful and the only discomfort I felt was because my water was leaking and it like I was peeing everywhere! I felt so rude every time, because it's so not polite to pee (I know it wasn't pee. duh. but that's just what it felt like I was doing!) on other people's things, especially when you just met and all they're doing is helping you! The nurse laughed at me and told me it was totally fine and that I should get used to the leaking cause it wasn't gonna stop!
After the epidural I laid in my bed with all my fluffy pillows and warmed blankets, watched Full House, visited with my labor and delivery nurse (Christine. I LOVE her.), and sipped on delicious hospital ice water. I seriously was in heaven! It was so soothing and relaxing- better than getting your hair done even!
At that point all we had to do was wait! I told Jaron to get some rest and he told me to wake him whenever anything happened. I assured him that I would!
I rested too. I couldn't sleep though- I was just too excited! It was worse than waiting for every Christmas morning I've ever had!
As I lay there, I was so surprised because labor and delivery so far wasn't anything like I had expected.
It. was. so...
pleasant.
relaxing.
exhilarating.
wonderful.
exciting.
calming.
all at the same time!
..And I was having a wonderful time.
I was waiting for time to pass by relaxing and playing Candy Crush when Christine came back in, checked me, and told me that it was time to push! I was like, "Oh! hold on, let me beat this level!"
Just kidding.
But seriously. I set down my Candy Crush, woke Jaron and said,
"Babe! It's time! She said it's time to push!"
PART IV
Christine got the room all set up for Grant's arrival. There was another lady in the hospital who needed an emergency c-section, so the only people in the room during the pushing stage were me, nurse Christine, and my wonderful Jaron. (oh and Grant too;))
Per my request- Christine set up a mirror so that I could see Grant's birth. I bet to some of you that may sound weird...but I mean come on, everyone else was lookin' down there I may as well too right? It was the best decision I made. It was a miraculous sight! It was amazing to see him getting closer and closer and closer with each push!
Christine was on my left holding one leg and keeping track of contractions and counting and monitoring the baby's heart and coaching me and checking the baby's progress and doing a million things all at one time (man. did I mention I loved her? She was amazing.) and Jaron was on my right, holding the other leg and pushing me up to help me curl into a "C" position. Basically, he was playing the accordion lol.
I'm not for sure how long I pushed.. but I'd say it was around 20-25 minutes. It felt like 5!
Christine was so funny because when she encouraged me she'd also say, "Like you have to poo! Like you've gotta go reaaaal bad!" She made me laugh..well I wasn't laughing.. but if I weren't birthing my child I'm sure I would have been laughing!
I could see the baby's head and all of his hair!! He was coming out! Soon Christine was calling for Dr. Ott! He entered the room and said, "Is this where the birthday party is?!" haha.. that Dr. Ott. He's silly at 12:50AM.
I remember Christine saying, "BIIIG PUSH!"....."Okay! His shoulders! ONE MORE BIIIG PUSH!!"
Dr. Ott then told me to look down and the next thing I knew...
I was looking at my baby.
(You know.. there aren't words. There are no words to adequately describe how I felt in the moments that followed. No matter how eloquently I try to put it.. nothing does it justice.. Oh well.. on with the story.)
I remember seeing him. He was ours.. He was mine.
The doctor told Jaron to cut the umbilical chord.
They whisked him away for a moment to wipe him off and measure him.. and I remember hearing him cry for the first time.
I remember the nurses talking about how cute he was.. how big he was.. how perfect he was.. how much hair he had.. how strong he was..
They put him on my chest.
I felt an overwhelming amount of love.. but a kind of love that I had never before felt in my life.
A love that felt so sturdy.. so strong.. so familiar.. a forever love.. an unconditional love that I knew would bond me to him.. my son.. and nobody else.
I felt so full. so complete. so perfect.
Tears flowed freely from my cheeks as I took in every moment.
They then took him away to give him a bath, put on an outfit and to check him and all that other hospitally stuff.
They handed him back to Jaron and I.. and our patiently waiting families were invited in to meet him. :)
There you have it! :)
My perfect, wonderful, tiny Grant's birth story. :)