"She's been a baby forever."
Members of our family say this quite often; Jaron and I find ourselves saying it too.
Grace is one year and one month old.
She still has a pacifier.
She still uses bottles.
She can't walk and doesn't care at all for trying to learn how.
Grant grew up so fast, in fact- he never quite seemed to be a baby even when he was one.
But Grace..
oh. My little Grace. She is in no hurry to grow up.
She has been a baby forever and I certainly don't have a problem with that at all.
"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait 'til tomorrow
For babies grow up, I've learned to my sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs
and dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby
and babies don't keep."
That poem was written in 1958.
I think if it were written today it would say:
"Liking" and "Tagging" can wait 'til tomorrow
For children grow up, we've learned to our sorrow
So quiet down Facebook
Notifications please sleep
I'm rocking my baby
and babies don't keep.
I try to remind myself to cherish my time with my kids- screaming, crying, tantrums and all because once I send them to bed... that's it.
The day is done and I can never get it back... and in the morning, they will be older.
I'm not going to lie. I wish and squander my days away all the time. Almost every day probably.
Mothering is hard.
So I wrote this as a reminder to myself.
-C
