Tips for Wearing (& getting) Glasses


When I was in 8th grade, I got the honor of getting voted "Most Vain" in the yearbook. I later learned that a group of girls who didn't like me/were always mean to me, had convinced their entire homeroom (and then some) to put my name down for that title. 
I was enraged.. and very embarrassed. In my mind, I was not vain. Not at all! 
Truth- maybe I am vain. 
Truth- I am blind as a bat, and I need glasses. 
Truth- I haven't worn my glasses for the entire 9 years that I have needed them. 
Truth- It's probably because I am vain. 

To me, glasses were a punishment. A punishment for not eating enough carrots, I guess. When I was in school I would bring them in my backpack and put them on long enough to read what was on the board and then I'd take them off as quickly as I could.  
Because of never wearing my glasses, my eyesight has gotten worse. And now, I need them more than ever. 

The real truth is, glasses are not for losers or weirdos .Glasses can be one of the most trendy fashion accessories! I thought I'd share with you a few tips I've picked up that have helped me actually want to wear my glasses :)

Tips for Wearing:

1. Bring out those eyes!
I was doing this part totally wrong. I thought that if I was wearing glasses I should put on less eye make up. (Also because my eyelashes used to hit the frames and get stuck) But glasses bring the attention to your eyes, so play up the make up! Be bold. Put on a little extra! Do a cat eye, or a daring smokey eye! Perfect your eye shadow and mascara techniques- and show off those baby blues! 

2. Brows. Brows. Brows!
Glasses also bring attention to your eyebrows, so make sure they are nice and tidy! If you want a good tutorial for shaping eyebrows, click here. You also want to make sure your eyebrows actually look like they are there. It is a good idea to properly fill them in, to make them stand out! 

3. Brighten!
Glasses cast shadows, so make sure you do a good job of brightening up those dark spots under your eyes, or else you will probably look permanently tired.

Tips for Getting:

I have had four different types of glasses. I always thought the frame was the problem, and for some part yes. And it was a process of trial and error in getting glasses that looked good on me. 

1. Face shape.
Not all glasses are going to look good. The reason? Face shape vs. frame shape. Do your reasearch- know your face shape and what types of glasses look good for that face shape! Here is a picture that I found that helped me. 


My face is "oblong" So they suggest that my face looks best with bigger frames that are a little bold. Which I definitely agree with! If you look at my glasses, they are about the same as the ones suggested here.
My first glasses were the ones the heart shaped face should have, my second ones were glasses that oval faces should have, and my third pair of glasses were the ones they suggest for round faces. I wish I had pictures to show you, that way you can see why they clearly didn't work for me- but like I said, I never wore 'em. So you wouldn't have caught me dead in a picture wearing them lol. 

 2. Fashion vs. Function
When I had my third pair of glasses, it was because that style was kind of "all the rage" back then. All of my friends were getting square super bold framed glasses, so I got them too. I learned that I hated having the super bold frames because they cut off my peripheral vision and I felt like a horse wearing blinders. It bugged me so so bad. 
Remember that when you buy glasses, make sure they are fashionable, but that you also agree with how they function as well, or else you are going to be stuck with glasses that you don't like for a while. Unless you have the pocket money to go and buy new ones.. which most of us don't. 
Also think about the lenses. 
I really don't like the reflective glare that my glasses currently give me (it seriously bugs me) so at our eye appointment next week I am going to request anti-reflective lens!

3. Try on thousands of pairs.
I know how hard is is choosing a frame while at the office. You feel pressure, you feel overwhelmed.. and all that jazz. And trying on thousands of pairs? What?? 
Let me tell you about this amazing app that lets you try on hundreds of glasses at the same time! 
Go and get the Glasses.com App you won't regret it. Seriously? Technology today blows me away. 
I love that you can "try on" tons of glasses at the comfort and leisure of your own home with no pressure and nobody bothering you- that way you can for sure know what style you love! 
Sometimes, I get on that app just for fun!

I hope that these tips help you!
XOXOXO
Carmina Joy