With moving into our new place, I have been SO excited to decorate a brand on a new canvas. One of the things I've been itching to do is make a wreath- and guess what, now I have a cute door to put it on AND people will actually see it! Hooray!!
I really LOVE the way hydrangea wreaths look. I love the beauty that comes just from the simplicity of it.
What I DON'T love, is the price. You could buy a pre-made wreath (like the one pictured to the left) for upwards of $65.00. Yuck.
You could make your own wreath using fake hydrangeas... but even then you could be spending a pretty penny with all the different supplies you'd need.
With a little inspiration from Pinteret, I incorporated a dozen different tutorials into one, to make THE CHEAPEST hydrangea-ish looking wreath around.
And I don't mean to toot my own horn but..... I did it!! And I LOVE the way it turned out!! :)
It was SO easy, and only took me about an hour.
What you need:
- 1 package of coffee filters
- Cardboard Box
- Scissors
- Hot glue gun
-String or ribbon (to hang it up)
Step 1: Cut out your wreath shape from your cardboard box. I used tupperware lids to trace perfect circles and to get the size that I wanted.
Step 2: Use your scissors to poke holes throughout the cardboard circle.
Step 3: Twist the bottoms of the coffee filters so that they make a point. Stick the point of the coffee filter through the holes in the cardboard and pull through.Step 4: Fill every hole with a coffee filter. You don't have to worry about making them perfectly uniform- you want each one to be a little different and maybe taller than the next so that they look like "flowers".
Step 5: After all holes are filled with coffee filters, turn over, and cut off the tips of the pieces that are poking through. Cut them in the middle.Step 6: Now that your back pieces are cut, pull them apart and press down so that they are secured. (I cut mine too short, so some of them are just nubs. Be careful not to do that.. because I am worried they may fall out.)

Step 7: Enjoy yourself! Crafting should be fun! While doing this I watched Say Yes to the Dress and ate Hershey's Kisses and Teddy Grahms. Booyah! :)
Step 8: Take your hot glue gun and glue the back of every piece. You are just making sure they are secured with glue.
Step 9: Once your pieces are glued down and dry, take a string or ribbon and glue it to the back so that you can hang it.

There are a lot of different ways you can do this, so that's why I didn't really take a picture of it. I didn't want the ribbon to show in mine, so I just glued a small piece of ribbon to the back so that I could hang it. But like I said, do what you please! :)
Step 9: Hang it up and love your cute door! :)
The BEST part of this DIY was that in only cost me about $6.00! I already had the cardboard and scissors, so all I had to buy were the coffee filters, the hot glue gun and glue. The coffee filters were at Wal*Mart for about $1.70, the hot glue gun was about $3.00 and the glue was .97!
Hooooraaayyyyyy for penny pinching! lol
Good luck! :)
-C



